Monday, August 26, 2013

Random Thoughts

Today I wore my favorite jeans from before I had Abby Grace for the first time since I had Abby Grace.  Yay!!! I am stills struggling to lose weight, but I took a little break and am feeling much better about proceeding now.  I didn't break because I wanted to, but I had some school work and an ear infection that left me without the will power to work at one more thing. 

I am back in school for the fall.  The first eight weeks I am taking 3 classes!  I must be crazy to do this, but the more I take the faster it will be over! 

Today was a beautiful day!  In the 70's most of the day, blue skies, slight breeze.  You couldn't ask for a prettier day.

Recently we started attending my childhood church again and I love being back there.  I love that the people who loved and supported me through my awkward teenage years still love me in my awkward grown-up years and that I can now appreciate that and that my daughter is learning the same love from these people.  I also love that we are meeting new people.  I still feel like I am in that weird I know your name and I see your Facebook posts', but I really don't know what to talk to you about, so lets just sing louder.  It's hard to come into a tight knit group and "fit."  I understand that this will take time, but I look forward to the friendship that is to come instead of trying to force it today. 

Our new pastor, of 4 weeks now, preached about being a servant in church this Sunday.  I love this lesson.  I think that if more people thought this way we would see changes in our everyday life that we couldn't imagine.  Little things that seem insignificant now, but in the end would make life so pleasant.  I think the biggest example of this in my life was when I worked as a server in a restaurant.  I always tried to literally serve those people to the best of my ability because it was not only my job to bring their food and drink, but it was my job to determine their entire experience in that establishment.

When I was in the third grade I stayed after church one day to help a woman named Beth Rhoads, my Sunday school teacher at the time, organize an area.  I remember it having a lot of books, but I don't think it was the library, maybe a children's play area.  Anyways, my dad came to pick me up and Mrs. Rhoads let him know I had been such a good helper and asked if I was this helpful at home.  Daddy responded that I wasn't always the best helper, being truthful, and Mrs. Rhoads looked at me and kindly said, "until you learn to serve at home you will never be able to serve anywhere else the way you should."  I was impacted.  I wanted to help people outside of my house, I just didn't want to set the table or wash the dishes.  I don't know that I changed my actions at that moment, but I remember shortly after that seeing a video by Psalty the Singing Song Book that had a song (sang by a girl wearing red overhauls and a purple shirt, worst color combo ever!)  that stated, "if you want to be great in God's kingdom you have to learn to be the servant of all."




I know Psalty can be a little creepy, but I can still hum the tune of this song in my head today.  I am so glad that we heard this lesson from Matthew 20:26.  Imagine if we were all the servant of all in our lives in and outside the church.  No one would ever want for a teacher, an actor, a singer, a musician, a prayer partner, or a friend.  Filling a role God has selected you to play is a small step in being a great servant.  Look at those around you and ask yourself the same question you get asked every time you sit down at your favorite restaurant, "How may I serve you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment