Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Path Less Taken....

So, I began a journey on May 15th that I haven't really shared with a lot of people.  I figure most will notice in time and if you are close to me you have already noticed and are encouraging me as I go.  This girl is going to lose 100lbs if it kills me.  Today I am officially at the 19lb mark and I feel great!  I am so excited to continue this journey and cannot wait to be my old self again.
 
It may sound wrong to say my old self, but when I was 20 I weighed in at a whopping 120lbs soaking wet.  Now days, well, its a little more.  One day I may be willing to share how much, but for today that's between me and the big man.  On May 4, 2013 I woke up a college graduate (I graduated the 3rd), unemployed, and ready to host the best Tinkerbelle birthday party ever!  I also weighed more than I had ever weighed in my entire life and didn't see a problem with having a couple of cupcakes prior to everyone arriving.  The worst part is I have the knowledge to beat this thing, I just have been too lazy to even attempt to try and tackle the issue. Lets start with college...
 
In 2001 I graduated high school and headed straight for Young Harris College.  At that time I had been informed that I had border line hyperthyroidism, the kind that can cause you to lose weight.  I was living life, eating what I wanted and never gaining a pound.  By 2004 I had started to see the weight coming on and weighed around 197lbs.  I was able to maintain that weight for several years, but then I found a job I really liked...in a Country Club with a fabulous chef.  Around this time I started to really put on the pounds making my way up to 231lbs and learned that I had hypothyroidism and was at extreme risk for diabetes.  I managed my issues with medication and didn't even begin to understand the implications of what could happen if I didn't take action.
 
In 2006 I went to a real OB/GYN for the first time in my life, I know its a little late, but I had issues with doctors looking at my lady parts.  Anyways, at that time I had already been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I learned I had PCOS, poly cystic ovary syndrome, which is also a known risk factor for diabetes and weight gain.  I learned with an A1C blood level is and in my mind had every intention of beating this thing.  Alas, life got in the way. 
 
I decided I wanted to have a baby in 2009, weighing in at 251lbs by then, and by 2010 was frustrated, but my OB/GYN assured me it was possible in 2009 so it had to happen, right?  In March 2010, or there about, Matt and I went to the OB and got the news that it was likely we would never have children, but there were options.  I opted for drugs.  I took Metformin 3 times per day for 4 months and now we have Abby Grace.  It sounds super simple, but if you have ever read the side effects of this drug, know that they are true and you should buy extra toilet paper, you will need it.  I went in for the regular 7 week check up at 4 weeks and was told to not get too excited because of the chances I would miscarry. However, a fabulous side effect of this drug is that prior to taking it you have a 58% chance of a miscarriage, while taking it that is reduced to 11%.  I read that on the internet so it might not be true, but I remember it being a reliable source, like maybe the drug information page??? Also, not an easy thing, I spent the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy looking for any sign of a miscarriage every time I went to the restroom.  A slight cramp caused a serious midnight melt down at about week 11.  I have continued to take metformin in efforts to continue ovulating on the chance that we do decide to have another baby at some time.
 
In March this year I had some pretty scary issues, or what we thought we issues with my thyroid.  I went in for a sore throat and was told at the local quick care that my thyroid was swollen and pressing on my wind pipe and that was why my throat hurt and I was having difficulty swallowing.  I immediately scheduled a visit with my endocrinologist and went for an ultra-sound of my thyroid.  Turns out this must have been the little guy giving it all it was worth because when they did the ultrasound it was the size of a raisin and is essentially gone at this point.  I will have to continue to take replacement therapy for the rest of my life, but at least it is regulated now instead of surging all the time.
 
A common misconception is that if you have hypothyroidism you are fat, not true.  My endo studied at a lot of fancy schools and has worked at the Mayo Clinic, I trust her.  On my first visit with her I asked if this was what made me fat and she informed me that unless my levels were over 30 and had been for some time that this was not likely the cause of the weight gain, however with PCOS it was contributing factor.  A normal patients level, or mine anyways, should be between .3 and 3.  I am currently at .064 thanks to losing almost 20lbs, but have altered my dose and will have labs redrawn in 6 weeks. 
 
Back to my journey, so I am just going to tell you, I weighed 271lbs when I started this thing and today I was 252.8.  I am so excited.  I have been walking, taking personal training classes and Jazzercising while counting my caloric intake using www.myfitnesspal.com, a free calorie counter program.  I also just got a polar heart monitor to make sure I am always in the fat burning range!
 
I eat about 1400 calories per day, sometimes more if I worked really hard that day, but the calorie counter keeps up with net calories so you can see what it takes to maintain a 2lb per week loss if you want to hold to that.  Right now I am estimated to weight 233.8lbs in 5 weeks according to the counter!! So exciting. 
 
I hope that by sharing I can help someone out there to know that they too can do this. I  haven't been successful yet, but I know in my heart that I can do this.  I went to the doctor Friday and he assured me that I was doing great and that should I stall that I could meet with him to figure out what changes I needed to make to jump start my loss again.  He also told me my A1C, average blood sugar over three months, was down to a 5.8!!!  When I started it was at almost 13.  I am so excited.  I wake up everyday ready to conquer and I am teaching my daughter to take care of herself in the long-term.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing, and I love you a bushel and a peck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Cassiebelle!! SO proud of you for many reasons. Can't wait to see in Athens you this fall when school resumes. xoxo

    ReplyDelete